This soup is vibrant, and delicious. Just right for brightening up these dull winter days. With a hunk of just baked crusty bread and lots of lovely butter......mmm
It's so simple to make too, which is another plus!.....and who would have thought, lettuce, in a soup would work, but work it certainly does; adding texture and verdant green flecks to set off the delicate pale pea green. Add a couple of succulent and crispy slices of grilled parma ham, and there you have it, perfection in a bowl!
Pea and Lettuce Soup with Parma Ham
(Recipe by Alfie - adapted from various sources)
2-3 cloves garlic
2T olive oil
1 lettuce, shredded
500g frozen peas
600mls veggie stock
200mls creme fraiche
half a teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
4-6 slices of parma ham
- Fry off the onions and garlic for a few minutes until soft and starting to brown - but not too much.
- Add the lettuce and peas to the pan and cook for a few minutes more. Only just enough to thaw the peas though.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4-5 mins, but not too long, otherwise you will lose the lovely bright green colour.
- Then add the creme fraiche and the seasonings to taste. Blitz with a hand whisk, or in a blender.
- Grill the parma ham until crispy, and then serve the soup with the parma ham arranged on the top.