April 26, 2008

sunshine granola




Okay......you know how the theory goes about making sure you have a healthy breakfast, packed with all sorts of good things, and..... you also know how it goes, that even with the best of intentions, and cupboards stocked full of said 'good things' it just never seems to happen - well, not to me anyway! I'm sure that time speeds up in the morning; no sooner have I clambered out of bed, rubbing precious sleep from my eyes, than it seems I have to be rushing out of the door - late again!
I always intend to make a 'proper' breakfast; I love oats in the morning, and sometimes the porridge even makes it from the cupboard to a bowl, although, more often than not, it's more of a whimsical notion, and my healthy breakfast goes by the board - again!
In an effort to redress the balance I've been looking around for a way to eat my oats without having to cook them first. Something I could just 'grab and go'. Then my answer came when I was trawling through my box of recipe clippings, and food magazines. There they were - several recipes for Granola! I've been aware of Granola but never really taken too much notice of it before, but now it seemed like the perfect solution to my breakfast conundrum - or lack of it! I adapted the bits I liked from the recipes I found, and came up with a lovely sweet, nutty mix that ticked all the boxes - just like a bowl of sunshine to start the day!
I enjoy it just with almond milk, and it's disappearing very quickly.....maybe next time I'll substitute maple syrup for the honey, and pecans for the pistachios, and add in some dried fruits (cranberries, strawberries, pineapple) - but then that's the beauty of Granola, the possibilities are endless - B and I are converted!

Sunshine Granola
Recipe
(by Alfie)

3 cups jumbo organic oats
half cup flaked almonds
half cup shredded coconut
half cup chopped hazelnuts
half cup pistachios
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
6 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla essence

Mix all of the dry ingredients together to combine. Melt the honey and walnut oil over a gentle heat and then stir in vanilla essence.
Pour the honey mixture into the oat and nut mixture so that it's well coated and then tip into a large open baking tray.
Bake at 300F / 150C / Gas 2 for 20-30 minutes stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
When you have a tray full of fragrant toasted nuggets, remove it from the oven. Stir to stop it from sticking together while it cools, and then store in an airtight container.

Serve it with milk, nut milk, or natural yoghurt for a bowl full of nutty goodness to set you up for the day!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Alfie, I am passing on an award to you. I really like reading you blog and looking at your pictures. I too am new to this, nowhere near as good as you yet, but I enjoy it all the same.

LyB said...

That granola sounds just gorgeous, a really beautiful way to start the day!